Whether you are a conference participant, member, interested party or even just a visitor of a website operated by us: We respect and protect your privacy. In accordance with article 13 of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (EU-GDPR), we inform you here about the way in which we collect, process and use your personal data. In particular, our focus is on the fair and transparent use of your data by the Gesellschaft für Biochemie und Molekularbiologie e.V. (GBM).
In the following we give you an overview on the personal data we collect from you and what we are using it for. We will also inform you of your rights under the applicable data protection law and whom to contact if you have any further questions.
Who are we?
The GBM e.V. is a non-profit scientific association.
Gesellschaft für Biochemie und Molekularbiologie e.V.
Mörfelder Landstr. 125
60598 Frankfurt am Main
Phone: +49 69 660567-0
VR-No.: VR 4262 (Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main)
Legally represented by the executive committee (Vorstand).
Dr. Philipp Bert
TÜV Hessen GmbH
We collect your personal data if you become a member, use our services, e.g. if you attend one of our events or committee meetings, have registered for a newsletters or have contacted us by telephone, e-mail or as part of a personal contact (e.g. at a trade fair or other event).
In detail the following types of data are processed:
- Name, E-Mail address
- Private address, company address, postal address
- If you are a GBM member: membership number and if applicable bank account or credit card data
- Profile of interests, committee memberships
- Attended congresses, events and committee meetings
- IT usage data (IP-address, visited websites, date and time of connection)
- You yourself inform us about these data when you register to use our services
- If you are GBM member: from your membership application
- If you attend at one of our congresses, events or committee meetings
- If you submit an entry for an event organized by us
- If you have registered for our newsletter
- If you are involved in a project coordinated or managed by the GBM
- In some cases we also receive your contact data from external cooperation partners or from publicly accessible directories
- When you are using our internet services pseudonymised usage data associated with IP-addresses are generated
Performance of a contract (Art. 6.1b of the EU-GDPR):
Usually you have a business relationship with us (current contract) or data processing is necessary on your request to carry out pre-contractual actions, for example:
- For execution of contractual relationships, e.g. booked conferences and for invoicing the services received
- To collect your annual membership fee, if you are a GBM member and have authorized GBM to do so by debit mandate
Due to legal requirements (Art. 6.1c of the EU-GDPR):
As a company, we are subject to numerous tax and commercial law regulations. To comply with these regulations, we must process and store your data.
On the basis of your informed consent (Art. 6.1a of the EU-GDPR):
In some cases you have given us your informed consent to process your data, e.g. if you have subscribed to our newsletter. You can revoke this consent at any time. This also applies to consents that you gave us before the EU-GDPR came into force, i.e. before 25th of May 2018.
To fulfill your wishes and to improve our offers based on a balance of interests (Art. 6.1f of the EU-GDPR):
- For information on events or publications of the GBM which are thematically related to your profile of interest.
- For the distribution of publications or journals that match your profile of interest.
- To ensure orderly operation and to optimize our services: We monitor the use of our services to ensure capacity utilization and IT security. This is done on the basis of IP addresses. We do not match IP addresses to your user account.
For the storage duration of your data different time limits apply:
- Data having fiscal relevance are usually stored for 10 years
- Data with commercial law relevance are usually stored for 6 years
- Conference history: as long as you maintain your account to use our services or at least 10 years
- Usage data such as connection history (pseudonymized over IP address): 1 year
Cookies sind kleine Textdateien, die bei Nutzung unseres Webauftritts an Ihren Computer gesandt werden. Wir nutzen Cookies ausschließlich, um besondere Benutzerfunktionen realisieren zu können (sogenannte Session-Cookies). Teilweise kann es daher sein, dass Sie unsere Webseiten ohne Cookies nicht bestimmungsgemäß nutzen können. Wir setzen Cookies aber nicht ein, um Nutzerprofile zu erstellen.
Die meisten Internet-Browser sind so eingestellt, dass sie Cookies automatisch akzeptieren. Sie können das Speichern von Cookies jedoch deaktivieren oder Ihren Browser so einstellen, dass er Sie benachrichtigt, sobald Cookies gesendet werden. Benutzen Sie hierfür die Hilfe-Funktion Ihres Internet-Browsers.
Do we pass your data to third parties?
Within the GBM and its structural units (e.g. Arbeitskreise, Studiengruppen, Junior GBM, Young Investigators) we use your data to inform you about services and products that fit your needs. We guarantee that we will always process your personal data in accordance with the provisions of the applicable data protection laws. You should be aware of the fact that you can object to the analysis or use of your personal data for these purposes at any time.
We are using a number of external service providers and also cloud service providers to help us to deliver our event and IT services. This is for example the Lombego Systems GmbH with the conference management system Converia. All service providers have been carefully selected by us and contractually committed to the careful observance of all relevant data protection regulations. At the same time, of course, we only pass on the minimum amount of data required to use these services.
If we perform an event together with an external organizer, we pass all relevant data to the external organizer in order to carry out the event.
If you are a member of the GBM we may pass your address data to external (journal) publishers, which cooperate with us. This applies in particular the publishing houses of our member journals.
In some places of our website you can contribute within forums. Some of these contributions to our forums are accessible for everyone . Therefore one should examine a contribution carefully before the publication whether it not contains data, which are not intended for the public. One must assume that Internet search machines view those contributions. Therefore this contribution may be world-wide accessible without visiting the GBM website initially. In case of foreign operators the deletion or correction of such entries often cannot be accomplished.
If you are a GBM member or a participant of a GBM conference, other GBM members or participants usually can view your contact details in order to get in touch with you personally. This corresponds to GBM’s statutory purpose to promote the exchange of information and experience at all levels.
What other rights do you have?
In accordance with articles 14-17 of the EU-GDPR, we hereby inform you that you have the right to access, rectify, delete or restrict the processing of your data at any time.
Your right to withdraw a given consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before the withdrawal.
Based on a balance of interests, we may use your data for our marketing measures or direct advertising. You have the right to object at any time. The objection can be made informally by e-mail, fax or letter and should be addressed to our data protection officer if possible. The easiest way to cancel your subscription to our newsletter is to use the unsubscribe link provided in the newsletter.
Lodge a complaint with a competent supervisory authority is always possible.
Usage of Cookies
Most Internet browsers are set to automatically accept cookies. However, you can deactivate the storage of cookies or set your browser so that it informs you as soon as cookies are sent. Use the help function of your internet browser to get further details.